Sunday 27 May 2012

One route, two very different walks...

Last weekend's walk was a 9 miler along part of the North Norfolk coast on a quite grey, wet and windy day. Given the beautiful weather we have today I felt I couldn't pass up the chance to visit the coast so decided to repeat the same route to test what impact the weather had on me, it turns out that it does have quite a significant effect!

I took the train down to Cromer where I headed onto the beach, walked along to Sheringham and continued to Weybourne mill where I turned round to catch the train back from Sheringham. A really nice, varied route. I walked along sand for part of it, gravel banks for other parts and the cliffs as well, so a really good training opportunity. The change in the weather made the route seem completely different from one week to the next.....

last week....

this week.....much better!

This week's walk, although visually much more fun, was a at much slower pace that the previous week, adding an extra 15 minutes to the 9 miles. I put this down chiefly to the heat, but also partially to the crowds of people that were taking advantage of the sun, meaning I often struggled to walk along at my usual pace. 

Last week I also added a little pit stop to my walk. Stopping off at West Runton Beach Cafe for a hot drink (wouldn't have been needed this week!) and to collect the collecting tin they have kindly been holding for me. Thank you to everyone there who have supported the challenge, I have just counted up the coins and it totals very nearly £30! I suppose it would be remiss of me at this point not to mention my fundraising page....  just click here!

Slight disappointment today was that my camelbak 'hydration pack' has sprung a leak! It was nice and refreshing in the heat to have water leaking onto my back but not really ideal. Looks like I will be venturing to the shops this week to find a replacement, any recommendations welcome....

No comments:

Post a Comment