Monday 2 May 2011

A walk of two halves.....

I took advantage of the glorious sunny weather yesterday to fit in a 10.4 mile walk, amazing weather for the time of year, check out the sky.....


The walk took us (me and two housemates) along Wherrymans Way, the long distance footpath that runs from Norwich to Great Yarmouth, and I have to say what a lovely route it is. We started in Norwich at Whittlingham Country Park and walked, in the most part along the river, through to Brammerton (past a lovely looking pub that I would love to visit on a future walk) and ultimately through to Surlingham. Here we stopped and walked back the way we came - not wanting to contend with Sunday train services we decided the 'there and back' approach was best. I would love to explore Wherrymans Way further though as the views and surrounding were fantastic (except for the clay pigeon shoot we passed - the noises from this did make us a little nervous). I'm trying to find someone who might like to tackle the full 30 miles of this route with me - so far no takers.....
Sadly one element of the walk is something I would not like to repeat, that would be the couple of minutes, just out of Norwich, it takes to walk past a sewage treatment plant. A few posts previosuly I wrote of one walk where we took the wrong route and found our path bloacked by a sewage outlet pipe, I think I've found its source. I really don't think I could put into words just how bad the smell was, I'm just grateful I didn't do this walk the weekend before when it was a lot warmer.....still, an adventure I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment