Sunday 31 July 2011

Closer to home

It's been quite a hectic weekend so I decided to stay local for today's walk and took the opportunity to venture up to Mousehold Heath - a large area of wood and heath to the North of the City Centre. The first two miles was a walk through the city centre - not the most exciting of walks on a busy Sunday afternoon on a particularly warm day.

There is a main road that runs through the middle of Mousehold with a couple of main paths running through the middle of each side as well as a multitude of small tracks to follow. The terrain was a particularly good training ground - lots of hills, good variety of ground to test my boots out on etc. It is also, as it turns out, good ground for BMXing and motorbiking and I nearly got 'taken out' by a motorcyclist early on in the walk! I didn't really follow any particular pattern or route - just criss-crossed the area until I reached nearly 7 miles as this screen grab shows.....


The Mousehold are is one of the highest points in the city, not far from Gas Hill where I spend my lunch breaks training. This gives some really good views of Norwich..... (much better than I managed to catch on camera....)

Some of you will know I'm quite a fan of finding quirky graffiti, my all-time favourite is:


Today I found the beauty below, it may not be quite as pretty as the above but seemed quite apt for the challenge I'm undertaking - now only if I could find up those three mountains I'd be sorted.....!






No comments:

Post a Comment